Oracle WebCenter Sites 11g provides Admin utility bar on the left side of the Admin interface. But this utility is an applet so some configuration is needed to access it.
Oracle has provided resolution of this in WebCenter Sites 11g patch 11 but if you are using below version of Sites then this tutorial will help you in enabling the utility.
Chrome – Since chrome 41, google disallows java on its browser. So this utility cannot be access from chrome.
Mozilla Firefox – Firefox allows Java so it’s the best browser to work on Oracle WebCenter Sites 11g.
Note: From WebCenter Sites 12C Oracle has renewed its left side utility by moving it from an applet to DOJO based framework. So no this utility can be accessed from any browser in Sites 12C.
Key point behind the successful resolution is the use of 32 bit JDK because Mozilla does not integrate with 64 bit JDK.
Below are the steps to perform the configuration:
Step 1: Uninstall all version of JDK 7 (32 or 64 bit) from your machine.
Step 2: Download the JDK jdk1.7.0_51 (32 bit), from the below given link. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase7-521261.html#jre-7u51-oth-JPR
Step 3: Install the downloaded JDK in your machine.
Step 4: Verify your JDK installation by going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Java in windows explorer.
Note that we have installed 32 bit JDK so installed path is C:\Program Files (x86), If we have installed 64 bit JDK then path would have been C:\Program Files
Step 4: Verify your Java installation in Firefox by checking in the Add on section.
- Open Mozilla Firefox in your computer.
- Click on the right top corner of the screen to get the Firefox option
- Click on the “Add on” icon in the tools of the browser.
- Verify that the Java entry is shown under the Add on section.
Step 5: Reduce the java security level and add WebCenter sites URL in the Java control panel. This is require so that java applet can run on the URL mention in exception list.
- Go to your JDK 7u51 installation folder at C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_51\jre\bin\
- Search for “javacpl.exe” in the directory.
- Java Control panel utility will pop up. On the panel, click upon “security” tab.
- On the security panel, Make sure that “Enable Java content in the browser” is checked.
- Reduce the security level to “Medium”. Please refer below snapshot.
- Add the URL to exception list, Click on the “Edit Site List”.
- Click on “Add” to add the WebCenter sites URL in the exception list.
URL : http://<IP of the instance>:<port>/cs/
In my case URL: http://localhost:9080/cs. This might differ from your machine instance URL.
- Click on continue button to add URL in the list.
- Click on Ok to close the Control panel.
Step 6: Login to WebCenter sites and go to Admin interface in Firefox.
You can now access the Admin Bar on the left corner.
Note: Browser may throw some authorization pop up.To any such pop up, You need click “run” or “Allow and remember”.
Alternatively, you can access all the feature of left side admin navigation tabs by clicking on the arrow. Please refer snapshot.
In next screen, click on “Admin” icon on top menu bar.
You can see all admin option in next screen.
This blog is written by T Vishal, Oracle WebCenter Sites Trainer and consultant. Read More
Click here to connect with him @Linkedin